Yes, another ballroom post. (With more to come, I'm afraid.) We are learning that if you even dabble your toes in the ballroom world, it quickly takes over your life. Last month, we attended our first "away" competition in Provo. In those two days, I learned a few things:
1. While these young kiddies are dancing all day, the real ones in pain are not the dancers. It's the mothers on the bleachers from 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Padding for the booty is a MUST.
2. As much as you love dance, after about six hours of ballroom, you start to hate it.
3. You are only as good as your partner. A mediocre girl with a better than average boy wins every time.
4. More hair gel. More make-up. Always.
5. It's amazing how well you get to know the person beside you on a bleacher after 12 hours. It was really weird when I realized I was sharing chips, cookies, and secrets with a person whose name I didn't even know.
Pre-teen Gold--McKenna's team.
Derek Hough decided to drop by.
Um, yes... THE Derek Hough from Dancing with the Stars. The Mormon one. The best dancer on the show one. I think I've always had a pretty level head when it comes to celebrities. They wake up ugly and stinky like everybody else. I get it. But, for some reason, when I saw him across the way, I turned into a giddy, 12 year-old-Beiber-like fan. Not going to lie... I was totally STAR STRUCK.
Here is McKenna "touching" him.
And here is Derek Hough's back. (I'll spare you from all of the other angles. Unless you want them. Call me.)
Another exciting moment came when McKenna and partner Andrew won first place in Elementary Swing. I guess this is pretty awesome at a regional competition. And it was, considering that we didn't even have many other second rounds all day. McKenna, as you can clearly see, was surprised/ecstatic/over-the-moon happy! And this girl, can I just tell you, is tough as nails. She was up the entire night before in our hotel throwing up with the stomach flu. Throughout the second day, she was physically weak from her rough night, but it never showed. I was so proud of her!







No comments:
Post a Comment