Our school has a policy that you cannot "request" a teacher, but rather, you must describe your child's personality traits, and they pick a teacher that best suits your child. I've never liked that policy--insisting that a good teacher is a good teacher for any child. This year I have been proven wrong. Last year, McKenna had the teacher that Kyler has now. Where she did not particularly thrive in this teacher's class, Kyler has been totally inspired. Mr. Hood and Kyler speak the same language: MATHLISH!
Today when I picked up my kids from school, I asked them my standard question: "What are three good things that happened to you today?" Kyler was excited to tell me that his class did a "really fun math assignment!" They were asked to write as many fractions as they could that were equivalent to one half. (2/4, 3/6, 4/8....) He said that he and another girl wrote a lot of them.
We came home, and Kyler immediately started doing his "feverish" writing at the kitchen table. Two piano students later, he announced, "I'm done!" Kyler had written "half" fractions from 1-1,000! I'm thinking I'm going to start charging this kid for paper.
Upon seeing his mammoth fraction list, I asked him what the motivation for this was... Was it an assignment? A contest? A challenge? He responded, "Nah. I just thought it would be fun. But maybe Mr. Hood will give me a dough-nut!"




No comments:
Post a Comment