It started with his love of his costumes.
If I hadn't taken him to Kenna's dance dress rehearsal last year, I would not be blogging about this right now.
But it happened.
Costumes... Carson... Dance.
However, had it not happened, I would not be giving you the, hands-down, cutest set of pictures of all time.
This is Carson's first ballroom competition:
Move over sister! Number 366 is about to rock it, Cha-Cha style!
Future Derek and Julianne Hough
The morning goes like this. I am combing Carson's hair.
Me: "Carson, do you know what this competition thing is?"
Carson: "Nope. I don't really what to go."
Me (in persuasive/manipulative voice): "Did you know that you could win a ribbon if you're the best dancer?"
Carson: "WHAT?! I can win a ribbon?!"
Me: "Yep. You just gotta smile BIG and be the best dancer."
Carson: "I can do that!"
Big Smile. Check.
Best dancer. (Not to mention the only one on beat and not resembling a train wreck.)
Check.
Partner is a doll. (That always helps.) Check.
They win first place in the Pee-Wee division!
(Justin and I are on the sidelines... snapping pictures furiously... laughing hysterically... knowing how stoked this kid is going to be!)
Sweet Victory!
Second time around is the Swing.
(He is pumped 'cuz this ribbon thing is fun!)
(Mom misses this dance because she is looking for ice because Ashton somehow manages to trip UNDER a table, receiving a huge goose egg in the center of his forehead. Mom makes it back just in time for the ribbon ceremony--out of breath.)
Will he win again?
He does!
My deep thought blog moment: Of course, I have hopes and dreams for my children, but becoming amazing sports stars or dancers is not among them. Rather, I simply long for them to experience that feeling of confidence and satisfaction from doing their best... that sense of worth... that small moment of pure joy... like when you're six years old and you are handed a blue ribbon for winning a dance competition! Isn't a happy life just a collection of small, happy moments--making the drudgeries of everyday life worth it? This was one of those perfect, happy moments. For Carson and me.










No comments:
Post a Comment