BYU's 9-man a capella group, Vocal Point, just celebrated it's 20th anniversary... and I'm pretty sure we've been going to their concerts for a least 10 of those years! Justin's brother sang in VP while attending BYU and then became the group's director--so my kids have literally grown up to this music--making their C.D.'s the most played music in our home, falling in love with the ever changing cast of boys, and spitting, spitting, spitting away with the vocal percussion beats. Oh, the beat boxing... that's another post entirely. It's taken over ALL three of my boys. Yes, even 2-year-old Ashton walks around all day making gross sounds and spewing saliva like his older brothers. (It is a boy thing by the way... neither McKenna or I can do it!) I'll take the spit showers, however, because my children have been very blessed by this group and their music. The impact has been pretty profound... My kids have been exposed to years of wholesome, uplifting entertainment--a rarity in the world today. They've learned that developing and sharing talents is "cool"--an especially great lesson for my sons. And most importantly, they've felt the Spirit as they've listened to VP testify of the Savior through word and song. And talk about impression... Did I mention that Ashton's first full sentence was: "I want 'We Will Wock You!" Yep--quite impressionable.
Well, the Vocal Point love was amplified by a million when the group got cast on NBC's reality show, "The Sing Off!" These college boys who've slept in my home and ate at our table suddenly became famous rock stars. Every Monday night was an EVENT--filled with screams and cheers... totally unbiased though!
We just couldn't miss their final concert at BYU before the new semester.
Serious fans... and love smitten girls! Miss Hailey Jo even got a kiss on the cheek from Jake Hunsaker to which she replied, "I'll never wash this cheek again!" Classic.

2 comments:
I wish the decision of who stayed and went home was based on America's votes, not the judges in the beginning rounds. I feel Vocal Point should have won. They were incredible!
THEY WERE ROBBED!!! Seriously, how many times had pentatonix or afro blue in the bottom 2??? All of sudden VP was out? ROBBED, I tell you!
Post a Comment