Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Little Less Wise

Well, Justin and I survived our first child's surgery... oh, and so did the child!  Yes, at only 11 years old, McKenna's now without wisdom teeth---making her just a little less wise... or so we teased her!  We never dreamed we'd be doing this so soon, but at Kenna's orthodontist consultation, they discovered that her wisdom teeth were blocking her 12-year-old molars.  They ordered those suckers out, and out fast!  A $2,000 bill was hardly what we wanted at Christmas time, but the oral surgeon literally scared me into it--saying that if we missed mother nature's timing, extracting her teeth would get REALLY expensive.  So, during Thanksgiving break--McKenna got a lot of down time!  
McKenna's always had a good attitude about everything, and this experience was no different.  She actually looked forward to surgery, and never uttered a single complaint after--EVER!  She's also a pretty tough cookie.  She can just do pain.  Really!  I gave her pain medication the first two days, but I really don't think she ever needed it. During her surgery, Justin ran out and found her a porcelain Christmas bell to keep by her side to ring whenever she needed anything, and she really enjoyed that... maybe a little too much.  "Ding-a-ling!  Ding-a-ling!"... all day long!  I think I now know what servants from long ago felt like when they were beckoned by such bells.  Starts to make you crazy after awhile!

 McKenna & Brothers enjoying down time together!

 McKenna was sure showered with lots of love that week!   Aunt Brooke and kids stopped by the first night with Orange Leaf ice cream.  (I can't believe I didn't take a picture!)  Grandpa Luke stopped by the following night after working at the temple to surprise her with roses.  She really is smiling here... That's as big as it gets with swollen cheeks!

Grandma Stevens stopped by with sweet gifts and a bag full of board games to play with Kenna.  Yep... I'm sure of it... my kids have the best grandparents (from both sides) in the world!

McKenna's fun friends, Kamry & Milly, stopped by with this giant card and Jamba smoothie mix.  I think they were a little shocked by Kenna's face, but they handled it with such grace, and made her feel loved and not self conscious at all!  I was so touched by this gesture that I was holding back tears the entire time they visited.  It was just so sweet.  

 McKenna drinking her Jamba the next morning... she was thrilled because it was soooo good!

Day 4 after surgery was Thanksgiving!  McKenna knew she would only be eating jello and soup which I brought just for her, but again, she didn't complain.  She also came up with the idea of arriving at the party as a chipmunk!  I was really impressed that instead of going to the party feeling uneasy about how she looked, she turned the joke around and got in on the fun!  She's a pretty special girl.  That's all there is to it!  Well, two weeks post surgery, McKenna is actually still a tiny bit swollen and thin as a rail--but back to playing football with the boys at recess and eating whatever she wants! 

4 comments:

Debi said...

Oh poor girl! I remember having to get mine out, granted I was 22 but still - it was horrible! I can't believe she didn't get a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and then didn't complain about it! Cute idea to go as a chipmunk. Little swollen cheeks, I find endearing!

ej said...

I love her attitude and sense of humor!! Glad everything went smoothly!

Brooke said...

McKenna is so cute! She has the best personality, and the chipmunk idea was very clever.

kim said...

She's gorgeous. She really is a special girl...I love her so much! I love her personality, and love having her in our home! Kamri was a little worried after she saw her, and wanted to call her every hour on the hour to make sure she was okay. :) I am sure you are glad that is over!