Friday, February 17, 2012

The Race Of Your Son's Life

Growing up with a bunch of sisters, I had heard of Pine Wood Derby's, but never actually attended one.  Now that I have been baptized by fire into the world of Scouting, here's a "Head's Up" for all you unexperienced "boy moms" like me:  This Pine Wood Derby thing is a big, big, Big deal for sons and fathers alike!  I started to catch on when I found Justin and Kyler huddled over their sketch/dimension plan plotting and planning away.  I actually heard Justin say, "You see these axles, Kyler?  We're going to polish the crap out of them!"  I doubled over in laughter and immediately received glares of death.  I apparently had made light of something truly sacred.  



Kyler's car went through several phases of sanding, paint, and adjustments.  Justin has built many incredible things in his life time--including homes and furniture--but to Kyler, this little blue car was his father's greatest masterpiece.  He was so proud of it.  Everyone who stopped by our home got to view his work of art.  He just knew he had something special.  


On the night of the big race, I started to get really nervous.  We were first-timers after all.  I had no idea how his car would stack up against the others.  What if it was the slowest?  Kyler's expectations were set so high--I knew he was going to be shattered if his car didn't pull through.  His faith, however, was steadfast and immovable... which made me all the more nervous!

Great friends–Kyler & Brady–posing with what they both know are winning cars!

Hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, and cars... sounds like a boy's dream, right?
It was.

The line-up.

Love this picture of Carson sitting just behind the Scouts!  He can't wait to be a Boy Scout too!

After months of anticipation and craftsmanship, it was finally time. 
"Gentlemen, start your engines!!"


And.... Kyler's car was definitely not the fastest.  Each car got to race every other car in every lane–meaning they got to race tons of times... and Kyler's car only won once.  Kyler was truly perplexed!  How could his perfect dream car not be winning?  As the night wore on, his shoulders slumped lower and lower.  And little boys, by the way, are not sweet and polite like achievement girls.  To the poor losers, the winners would taunt, "In your face!!" and "Take that!" or "Ha!"

But just when we were sure that Kyler would crumple into tears at any moment, a miracle happened.  The track man brought out... "THE CIRCLE OF DEATH!"  The track was re-set and the boys began chanting and jumping up and down.  Whose car would survive this deadly maneuver?  One by one, the cars failed... except for Kyler's which sailed around the loop perfectly!  Oh, Circle of Death, you saved my little boy's night!  Bless you, Circle of Death.  Bless you.

Kyler's car didn't come close to winning, but he took home the award for "Sportiest Looking Car." 
 That smile?  Sincere and truly proud! 

In the end, we learned that "winning" isn't everything.  It's about the experience, the time spent with Dad, the excitement, the anticipation, and good ol' fashion competition.  (But look out 17th ward!  By the time Ashton's eight, we're gonna have this Pine Wood Derby race figured out!)



No comments: