Thursday, October 17, 2013

Baseball 2013

In past years, baseball has taken over our entire month of June. However, now that the kids are getting older and in three different leagues, baseball stretches from May to August for us! My life seems like it revolves around one sport to the next. I pretty much live half of my life shivering and cheering in a lawn chair. However, sports are starting to get a little more exciting to watch with older kids--especially Kyler's games. He is one heck of a focused and smart athlete. Each time I watch him, I am in complete awe that he is mine--being that my sporting events in high school consisted of fast piano scales. This past summer was Ky's second (and last) year in the Minor Little League. He was his team's pitcher and first baseman. At the team party, his coach said that Kyler's stike-out average was 65%. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but Justin tells me that it's really good!







McKenna's season was a hard one. Her beloved coach of the last six years was unable to coach in 2013. Coach Prestwhich's 10-year-old son was paralyzed in a car accident just weeks after baseball ended last year. (Truly the most heartbreaking experience I've ever witnessed.) Without this fun coach, we quickly realized the impact that a coach can have. McKenna's heart was not in the game, but rather left in the dance studio. McKenna complained but persevered through a very long season playing pitcher and out fielder. Watching her pitch always made me giggle... She was the most graceful ballroom-dancer-pitcher you've ever seen!


With baseball sign-ups happening the month that my world turned upside down (May), I failed to get Carson on a team. However, with the help of a sweet ward member and an old tee ball shirt that magically matched his new team, I was able to finagle Ash onto a team the night before his first game! This was truly a tender mercy, being that Ashton was SOOOO excited for his first sport ever!! After four years of watching his siblings from the stands, Ashton knew what to do and was ready to be let loose on that field. His first game was HI-LAR-I-OUS. First of all, Ashton is kind of obsessed with jerseys right now. He was completely angry that his team shirt did not have a number on it--so I actually had to TAPE a number on his shirt to satisfy him. During Ash's first time in the out field, he ran along side the opposite team's runners to each of their bases--because standing drone-like waiting for the ball was so not happening. And then.... the very best thing of Ashton's whole life happened when he was presented his first medal. Four months later, he still wears it almost everyday and has taken it to his preschool show-and-tell–TWICE!



No comments: